Da Couch Tomato

An attempt at a new layout, with horrible glitches, and very minimal knowledge of HTML.

Extras. Series 1


Learned about this from a friend. And since I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais, I just had to watch this. The only disappointing thing is that this is actually an old series. Like 2005-old. Well, as long as it's post-2000, it can be considered as "fairly recent". Though just barely.


1. "Ben Stiller"
Ben Stiller's whiny screams are always a blast.
It's a good thing they used Ben Stiller for the pilot. Had they used any other celebrity, I might not have gotten hooked. Ben Stiller is hilarious here. And of course, so is Ricky Gervais. As always.


2. "Ross Kemp and Vinnie Jones"
Vinnie Jones is a badass no matter what period he's in.
Now we're in some period film, set during the Napoleonic wars. I didn't know who Ross Kemp was (of course, I do now), but I do know Vinnie Jones. And I think Vinnie Jones is a badass in real life.


3. "Kate Winslet"
The funniest, stupidest Kate Winslet pose ever.
Kate Winslet as a nun is someone you'd really like to bang, isn't she? Although Winslet's scenese are hilarious (especially when she mentions the secrets to getting an Oscar), it's Andy's scene in a roomful of Catholics that had me laughing out loud.


4. "Les Dennis"
You just gotta love Ricky Gervais's facial expressions.
And now we go to the wonderful world of theater. Yes, this isn't a movie. It just goes to show that movie extras are humans, too. Which means they've got bills to pay. So it's not surprising that they do theater on the side. They're actors, anyway. And yes, I don't know who Les Dennis is.


5. "Samuel L. Jackson"
Samuel L. Jackson is badass without even trying.
And because it's Samuel L. Jackson, this one's about... racism. I just love the way Maggie seems really stupid here. That's great acting. And one of this show's comedic strengths is making awkward situations even more awkward than they already are. It's so awkward, it becomes funny.


6. "Patrick Stewart"
"...I see this beautiful girl, and I think I'd like to see her naked,
and so all her clothes fall off." ─actual line
Now the show gets to be a bit serious. Andy and Maggie get into a fight, and I just love the idea that Andy uses Patrick Stewart to apologize to Maggie. And since this is the series ender, what could be more appropriate than to end it with the promise that Andy's new show, When the Whistle Blows, will be airing next series.


I actually wanted some friends to watch this, and I wanted to see their reactions while we watched it. So we did. And I noticed that they still weren't laughing by the tenth minute. Which got me thinking: Ricky Gervais is like a drug. I totally dig his comedy. Others don't. Just like some people dig marijuana while some dig crystal meth. Maybe it's just not their cup of tea.


Extras (Series 1). UK. 2005-2006.


Rating: Eight and a half out of ten.



*some info from Wikipedia
pics from VLC



You may also want to check out the review for Extras Series 2.

0 comments :

Premium Blogspot Templates
Copyright © 2012 Da Couch Tomato