Da Couch Tomato

An attempt at a new layout, with horrible glitches, and very minimal knowledge of HTML.

Fanboys


The title says it all. The very first sounds you hear, when The Weinstein Company logo flashes on the screen, will be the sound of lightsabers. And also, the title uses the famous scrolling text. So you all know what kind of fanboys we're talking about.

Definitely not.

I LOLd at a lot of scenes, but I don't know if it's because they were really funny, or because I'm a fanboy myself. To be fair, some jokes relied on comic book humor. But then again, I don't know if it's because they were really funny, or because I'm a geek myself.

Jay Baruchel is at home playing geek roles. I don't know if he's a geek in real life, but he has the physique for it. Another example of Hollywood cashing in on stereotypes.

I. Want. That. Shirt.

Dan Fogler was actually hilarious. I've already liked him since Balls of Fury. But in this film, he displays the full extent of his comedic talents and geekery.

"I may be fat, but I'm funny."

Seth Rogen was by far the funniest in this movie (Fogler actually comes a very close second, by the way). He plays multiple roles in this movie, among them the buck-toothed Trekkie (or Trekker), and the pimp.

I just love Rogen's face.

Great supporting cast, by the way, which includes some staple faces from comedies. Among them are:

Chris McDonald, who you might remember as Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore;

Danny Trejo, whose smiling face does not diminish the fact that he's scary as hell;

Danny McBride, who strangely is not listed in the credits;

and Kevin Smith, a huge Star Wars fanboy himself, and who also clarifies that he did not direct this movie (credit should go to Kyle Newman).

And here are some cameos that are guaranteed to give you nerdgasms:

Darth Maul

Lando Calrissian

Captain James Tiberius Kirk

and

Princess Leia Organa-Solo 
(only a geek would put in her married name).

Oh, one last thing: Kristen Bell is so hot. And if she were a real-life nerd, that would be like ten times cooler than all the Star Wars flicks put together.

Just look at that smile.


Fanboys. USA. 2008.


Rating: Six and a half out of ten.





*some info from IMDb
pics from Boston and VLC

0 comments :

Premium Blogspot Templates
Copyright © 2012 Da Couch Tomato